I had a telephone conversation with Ann, Gerard mother, yesterday and found out that he were not doing so good at folding a paper boat. I gave them copies of origami boat diagram on the rehearsal day. The issue was anticipated then. I decided to help them out with an instructional video and some guidelines on a piece of paper. Otherwise the jump cut in opening sequence is going to be very interesting to edit.
It was realised that there was not a storyboard for my story at all. When I was drawing it, the visualisation get easier. However, after the location scout, I found out that it’s impossible to create the reflection in the kitche3n scene. The film can live without it.
The story of my project is mostly set in a house but it’s not uncommon use two locations. My own place in Enmore is suitable for some scene and a lovely chap I know him via Twitter offered his in Surry Hills for the shooting. When I saw this house, it just clicked.
And it turns out that we almost shoot chronologically with the script except the beach scene but it will be shot first thing on the second day. That could be a very good thing since the cast and crew would get along better on the second day.
Coogee Beach was the last location found after a lunch with the key actors: Fay, Gerard, his mother, Anne and finally I met Alison, who led me to Gerard, in person. It was great to get to know them. Hopefully, the film would be a good experience for them as well as for me.
Just to update the progress of my major project short film, Memory of You | Reflection of Me while we were having the semester break.
Script revision — Major change in one scene from Train Station to Laundry Room. The scene will be a dialogue responding between Betty talking on the phone and Daniel voice over.
Casting — The major issue was discovered in the audition. The voice is too obvious to reveal the condition of the narrator before the last shot of the film.
Camera — It has not been decided which camera will be used for the film. There is also a choice of using a converter to mount camera lens on Sony Z1P.
Schedule — Once we knew the SOMA 9500 outline and its presentation weeks, I was be able to plan and adjust the film schedule in more detail. The key production shoot was moved from week 4 to week 5 due to another commitments.
The major task during the semester break is to find the right actors to play the main character. Joy and I decided to have a joint casting because one of our characters, the mother, shared pretty much the same profile. Let alone our scripts were similar too.
Mainly we posted the cast call through StarNow and Quiet on Set and I had some help from Allison Richardson for my special requirement. The response the call was very interesting when Joy’s rebellious teenage girl applications bombarded Joy and only handful applied for the mother role (especially I disclosed that my character had a nude scene) whereas I could get only 3 persons to come in for the audition for the son.
There was a bit of a stress when I had to revise the script for escalating more tension in the story and it had be done and sent for the casting. But as I always say deadline creates works.
We spent two days for the casting and the turn up rate was about 80 per cent. It seemed to me I really did not have too many choices but it was like you found someone that just clicked to the role. And they did. However, we chose the shortlists and presented them to our lecture when the break is over. So it was unfortunately for them to play a waiting game for the next several weeks.